At Osiligi Charity Projects, we are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
What information we collect, how we collect it and what we use it for
We may collect or receive personal information about you whenever you interact with us, for example when you:
Give us information directly by:
- visiting or completing a form on our website
- donating to us offline and completing a paper donation form
- subscribing to our mailing list or responding to one of our mailings
- becoming a sponsor of a Kenyan child
- requesting information from us
- requesting to receive our newsletter at a Maasai concert
- contacting us, or becoming involved with us in any other way than as stated above
Give us information indirectly by:
- making an online donation via third-party fundraising/donation-processing websites such as CAF Donate or VirginMoneyGiving.
The information we may collect from the above interactions may include, but is not limited to:
- Your name, address, email address, telephone number, and/or mobile number, along with your preferences as to how we should contact you in the future
- Financial information which you give to us, including your gift aid/taxpayer status
- Records of your donation history and correspondence with us
- Other details relevant to your communications with us including your reasons for supporting us
We will use your personal information in a number of ways, including for the following purposes:
- To provide you with information you have requested
- To send you information on your sponsored child either by email or post
- Fundraise in accordance with our policies and procedures
- To administer your donation, including sending a thank you email or letter, and for Gift Aid processing
- Keeping a record of your relationship with us
- To send you our e-newsletters if you have subscribed to our mailing list or opted-in to receive further communications from us via email
- To maintain our organisational records and ensure we have your most up-to-date marketing and communications preferences.
Sensitive personal data
We do not collect ‘sensitive personal data’, as defined by data protection regulation, such as health information, race, religious beliefs and political opinions.
Using your data for marketing
We will only use your data for marketing purposes (such as sending you our newsletters) if you have explicitly opted-in to receive such communications from us, and we will only send such information via the channels by which you have consented to receive it. If you receive a marketing email from us that you haven’t asked for please do let us know. You may opt-out of email marketing communications by clicking the ‘Unsubscribe’ link at the end of our mailing list emails. This request will be honoured immediately. Please help us by sending this unsubscribe link from the same email address as we contacted you.
Collecting children’s data
Whilst we don’t routinely collect information from children (under 16s) we appreciate that supporters of all ages may wish to get involved with our work. If you are under 16 and would like to get involved, please ensure that you have consent from a parent or guardian before giving us your personal information.
Who we share your data with
We will never sell your data to any third party nor will we share your details with other entities for marketing purposes, and you will not receive communications from other charities or organisations as a result of giving your details to us.
We will only share information with other organisations where it is necessary for a legitimate reason or where it is required by law or regulation.
Examples of situations where we may share your details without your consent are as follows:
- When claiming Gift Aid on any eligible donation you have made, or for a Gift Aid audit, we are required to provide to HMRC the name and address of any individual on whose donation we have claimed or are claiming Gift Aid.
How we store your data and keep it safe
Osiligi Charity Projects is committed to keeping your personal information safe and secure and we will always try to take appropriate precautions to protect against unauthorised access to, loss, misuse, or unauthorised disclosure, of your information.
We always ensure that only authorised personnel (for example Osiligi volunteers, or Trustees) have access to your information and that any place where personal data is stored is protected via a secure password or log-in, or, in the case of physical records, held in a secure location.
Your data may be stored in the following places, depending on how and where you have provided it:
- the admin end of our website
- our spreadsheet database on hard drives and on the cloud
- our email servers and in our email folders
- our paper records and files
We may transfer the information provided to us to countries outside the European Economic Area (‘EEA’). We will take steps to ensure adequate protections are in place to ensure the security of your information. The EEA comprises the EU member states plus Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein
Despite all precautions, no data transmitted over the internet, stored on a computer or in the Cloud, can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. So, while we strive to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of any information you disclose to us online either directly or via a third-party, and you must understand that you do so at your own risk.
How long we keep your information for
We will hold your personal information on our systems for as long as is necessary for the relevant activity in line with our Data Protection Policy. For example, Gift Aid declarations which include personal information will be retained for at least 6 years from the end of the accounting period in which the most recent donation was made.
If you ask us to stop sending you marketing communications, we will keep a record of your contact details and appropriate information to enable us to comply with your request not to be contacted by us.
Your rights to your data
Data protection legislation gives you the following rights in relation to your personal data:
- The right to be informed about the data that we hold on you
- The right of access to, rectification of and erasure of the personal data we hold on you
- The right to object to, restrict or withdraw consent from us processing your personal data
If you wish to exercise any of your rights, please write to us at Osiligi Charity Projecs, Elwell House, West Buckland, EX32 0SW.
If you make a request relating to any of your rights listed above, we will consider each request in accordance with all applicable data protection laws and regulations. No administration fee will be charged for considering and/or complying with such a request unless the request is deemed to be excessive in nature.
Upon successful verification of your identity you are entitled to obtain the following information about your own personal information:
- The purposes of the collection, processing, use and storage of your personal data
- The source(s) of the personal information, if it was not obtained from you.
- The categories of personal data stored about you.
- The recipients or categories of recipients to whom your personal data has been or may be transmitted, along with the location of those recipients.
- The envisaged period of storage for your personal data or the rationale for determining the storage period.
- The use of any automated decision-making and/or profiling.
If at any time you’d like us to change the way we contact you, write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also now register your details with the Fundraising Preference Service if you would prefer us not to contact you. For further information please visit the Fundraising Regulator’s website at www.fundraisingregulator.org.uk
Changes to this policy
If at any time you are not happy with the way we have handled your personal data, please do contact us. If you do not feel we have been able to satisfactorily resolve your complaint you can report your concern to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) by visiting their website at ico.org.uk/concerns/.